Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The time has come for me and my peers to decide what step we want to take in life and that means what our career prospects are about 6 years down the road.All of us have spent lots of time thinking about what we want to be or even dreaming about what we will be when we are all grown up.I remember,when I was young,I used to sit at my desk and imagine being a pilot and how I could welcome everyone onboard the flight.Or at night,I would dream of having my own farm house in the countryside and earn my living as a farmer.Some would have dreamt of being a fireman or soldier when they were young.Very cliche by the way.haha.We have thought of what we want to be,but have we thought how we will be in our dream profession?Dont get it?

Definitely all of us have thought of what we want to do in the future,but we have not thought of how we want to do it.What I am talking about here is the passion that we will have or have for our jobs or for what we do.Passion in whatever we do is the most important.Profession with passion is known as a job.Profession without passion is work.Work is something that drains you and makes your life a misery.A job is something that challenges,that excites something that is vibrant.I despise people who do not have passion in what they do.Lately,I have come into contact with people who do not have passion for what they do.These people come into their workplace to just fulfill the minimum of what is expected of them and whatever will earn them their keep.I used to have a teacher not too long ago,who had no passion whatsoever,to impart knowledge to my class.She did come to class to teach us.But that was about all that she did.She did nothing to encourage active learning of any sort neither did she do anything to cultivate interest in the subject.In essence,she messed up and messed us up.

Very recently,I have had the "pleasure" of running into doctors who seem to have no passion for their work or for even taking interest in the health of their patients.I wouldnt even call them doctors,because doctors are supposed to care.But once you enter the SAF,you realise that there are doctors and there are those who just study medicine and HAPPEN to practise medicine.All prestige and honor is accorded to them just because they are trained to be doctors.But they do not deserve all that for the very reason that they seem to be there by accident or because there is a shortage of doctors.Some of them were even under scholarship which makes me wonder what exactly scholars are made off.

See...the point I am making here is that passion in what we do is so important especially if it directly involves another party.Because,not only does it affect us but it affects the people we come into contact with.It affects us because without passion,job because work and nothing will ever be enough.People without passion will always be disgruntled with where they are and with their lives.Not only will their job be a chore to them,life will become a chore.I never believe in doing things that I do not enjoy doing because I know that I will never put my heart and soul into it.I have a lot of respect for those who no matter how shitty their job is,are able to find joy in what they do because they have passion.Passions the word of the day people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home