Monday, February 20, 2006

I know its been quite a while since i last posted anything.Lots have happened over the past few weeks and we are almost a week shy of the end of feb.The past incidents have set me thinking recently and made me question myself,made me doubt all that I had believed in,made me doubt the very person I was.

For 6 years of yr school life the motto "the Best is yet to be" has been ingrained in me and while many people say its a very stupid motto,I chose to believe that it taught me to not be complacent,to never rest on your laurels and to always challenge our own abilities and stretch ourselves to the limit.In order to do that,we have to give our best in all that we do and be totally committed.Being the best has nothing to do with the international standards of what is world class.It often has to do with personal pride in giving of our best regardless.This is my take on the motto that I had been taught to live by for 6 years of my life.Disagree if you want to.

Recently however,I have began to question when should we stop giving our best and whether something is really worth our committment.Call me disgruntled.But when you fail to get recognition for the hours of work you put in and these hours are often spent out in the blazing sun or torrential rain,you doubt if any of the effort you put in is actually worth it.Dont get me wrong.I do not crave for recognition or praise or any label of nobility.But I am only human.

I have questioned myself over and over again given my current situation and I realised that there comes a point in time where all of it will become senseless.And when one or in this case, when I realised that continual giving of my best started to wear me down when I failed to see the results.I dont crave praises or recognition.What I am trying to say is this.I owed it to myself to do my best and whatever I did but after a while,it all just becomes too ideal,too perfect in this imperfect and unjust society we all live in.And I felt that assuming all else is equal,if I put in the same amount of effort as the next guy who puts in the least amount of effort,we all both obtain the same rewards and recognition.

I am not sure if I have made you as a reader lost in my train of thought.I might have lost myself too.But my point is this.I realised that I had been too naive and while I still do believe that I should give my best in all that I do,I believe that we should respond accordingly to any given situation and whether it calls for committment at its highest level because sometimes it just is not worth it and when you are willing to give,some people are more than willing to take and never give.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home