Sunday, October 16, 2005

I never really took notice of the damage done by hurricane katrina or the news that it made.Not until I watched Oprah primetime today during dinner.It broke my heart to see the devastation that not only swept through the city but also through the people and their lives.

The numbers dead,sick,missing,displaced is just appalling.Beyond appalling.I see how children and people look so lost and disillusioned not just by the damage done but by the lack of help and ineffective assistance of the american government.Families are split up,people who are sick have to wait for days before they are able to get any medical attention.It is just so disturbing to see the scale of destruction on so many levels.

Everything else now seems so unimportant.When you look at how much the people have to go through,you cannot compare with them.My heart just goes out to the survivors of the hurricane not only because they have survived but because it is going to take a lot more for them to rebuild their lives and to have to live on with the memory of friends and family who perished.I just wish I could help them.To actually be able to do something instead of just talking about how devastating the hurricane is.If I am sent there as part of NS i definitely wouldnt mind going.Becuase it is meaningful and it is real.Real life,real people and real emotions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home