Sunday, December 19, 2004

Contrary to what everyone believes,I didnt have a whale of a time or a hell of a time in Brisbane.Overall,I did have fun but having a blast?Nope.The whole trip helped me mature in a sense,travelling along with friends,having to take care of yourself and of one another throughout the trip.Weather when we got there was a bit wet but very nice and cool.Went to see Uncle Rolf's spice factory in the afternoon while the guys slept.Huge factory and warehouse.Went for turkish food that night at South Bank and danced with the belly dancer,or at least tried to dance after being pulled out of my seat by my friends and the dancer.I was super embarressed.Turkish food was good although I think I had eaten too much cream.We went for a walk at the man-made beach after dinner.Even the man made beach was clean,not like those in Singapore.
The city the next day was great.Brisbane is really shopping heaven,it was really amazing.It is even better then shopping here.Local brands are not all that expensive and the designs are so much better,makes topman and zara passe.Then I fell sick on the 3rd day.Vommitting,high fever,sore throat and the works.Couldnt go to dinner with Uncle Rolf and Auntie Magaret and was having a massive allergy to my fever medicine.The guys bought the sneakers I had wanted to buy for me.Damn nice of them blokes.Had a slice of bread for dinner.
Off to Gold Coast the next day.In a rush,we got on the wrong train and didnt realise until we reached the end of the line,where the train was terminating.So we got off at Cleaveland.It was a very nice place,where we had lunch by the wharf and enjoyed the cool weather.
Gold Coast was all about Harbour town.The factory outlets were the best where the clothes were cheap and they sold the same range as they did in the city and in the malls.Rows and rows of shops to kill.I could have died a happy man.
Much better when we got back to Brisbane again.Sean and his mom brought us to UQ(University of Queensland).The campus is amazing.Something no local school redevelopment project will ever be able to achieve,making NUS look like a slum.The whole surrounding just made me want to study there.Managed to enjoy the last 2 days of Brisbane which was good.
Thinking about it all,Brisbane or even Australia pales in comparison to Singapore.The weather is much better,the dont have lousy NS,the people there are so much nicer and courteous,which is strange because they didnt need a courtesy campaign.The shopping is cheaper,maybe because the sale there was really a sale,not like in Singapore,where although they tell you its a sale,there are so many conditions to rip you off.The doctors and chemists there are so much more patient and polite.Unlike our doctors here who are not paid their worth,and when I say that I mean they are paid too much for the little they do.Now...give me a good reason why I should stay and work here besides my family and friends?
I really do miss Brisbane.All the withdrawal effects and I am still sick.Still a miserable sick duck.Good thing is I lost weight.Pictures from the trip are up already so go check out the link.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home